Attendance promotion is coming soon. View these promotion topics:
When you purchase a new check scanner from ACS Technologies, you must first set it up in ACS. ACS works with any of the following check scanners (purchased separately):
- Mini MICR (keyboard wedge and USB)
- MICRImage (RS-232 and USB)
- Image Safe (USB)
Before you set up the scanner in ACS, use the instructions included with the check scanner to connect the scanner to your PC. If you purchased the Mini MICR (keyboard wedge) check scanner, once you select it from the check scanner drop-down list, you do not need to do anything else in Setup.
If you purchased the(RS-232 & USB) check scanner, when you select it from the drop-down list, the Configure button displays. You must select the correct COM port that your scanner is plugged into on your PC (for an explanation of COM port, see the instructions included with your check scanner).
Once you select a COM port connection, you can test the connection to verify it is the correct one. If it is, either a verification message or a check image displays, depending on the scanner that you purchased. If the COM port connection is not correct, you can select a different one and test it again until you select the correct one.
To find the COM Port for the MICR Scanner
- Open the Windows Device Manager.
a.) Windows 7: On your Windows desktop, right-click the Start button in the lower-left corner of the screen. A Windows context menu displays. In the right-side pane of the context menu, click Control Panel. The Control Panel displays. Click Hardware and Sound > Device Manager.
b.) Windows 8.1 and Windows 10: On the Windows desktop, right-click the Start button in the lower-left corner of the screen. A Windows context menu displays. Click Control Panel. The Control Panel displays. Click Device Manager.
- Expand (Ports COM & LPT).
- Note the COM port for the MICR device. (Ex: COM3)
- Close the Device Manager and the Control Panel.
To configure a check scanner
- Under Advanced Tools, click the Settings tab.
- In the drop-down list, select Accounts Receivable and click Go .
- On the AR Setup tab, select the appropriate scanner from the list.
- If you selected (RS-232 & USB), click Configure. The MiniMICR (keyboard wedge & USB) should "plug and play" without configuration.
- Click in the Select COM Port list, and select the COM port you want to test.
- Click TestPort Connection.
- Feed a check through the scanner. If you did not select the correct COM port, an error message displays. Change the port number and try again.
If you selected the correct COM port, a check image displays for the MICRImage (RS-232 & USB) scanner. Click OK.
If you do not scan the check in a reasonable amount of time, an error displays. Click OK, then Test Port Connection and try again.