Update by June 1st! It’s the final month to check your operating systems, browsers, and desktop software. If they're outdated, they may not work with the latest advancements and may make your organization susceptible to online security vulnerabilities. Click here for more information.
While Form W-2 reports wages, salaries, and tips, Form 1099 reports miscellaneous income paid to independent contractors (nonemployee compensation). If you've paid an independent contractor $600 or more or royalties over $10 during a calendar year, you should print Form 1099 for that vendor.
Any vendor with invoices marked as 1099 and paid in the selected tax year receives a 1099. If the vendor is marked as a 1099 vendor during setup, all invoices for that vendor are marked as 1099 purchases unless the 1099 option is cleared during invoice entry. For vendors not marked as a 1099 vendor, you can mark an invoice as a 1099 purchase during invoice entry. After entering invoices, you can edit a vendor’s record to add or clear the 1099 option.
When generating Form 1099, ACS selects only those vendors with purchases totaling $600 or more. To see these vendors, you can print the YTD Purchases List. You can also include deactivated vendors or vendors paid less than $600 or royalties under $10.
Before preparing Form 1099, we suggest printing the YTD Purchases List and the Check/Invoice Cross Reference report to verify vendor totals. We also recommend printing the forms on blank paper first to check for errors.
To prepare and print Form 1099
- Under Generate Reports, click the Period End Reports tab.
- In the drop-down list, select Accounts Payable 1099s and 1096, then click Go .
- On the Reports tab, select 1099 - Laser Printer or 1099 - Laser (Blank Paper 4 Part Forms).
- To enter the beginning and ending date range for the 1099 information that you want to include in the 1099 totals, use Print Transactions From and to.
- To select report options, click the Setup tab.
- Enter Report Options, Vendor Options, and Selection Options.
- To preview the 1099s prior to printing, click Preview. To print the 1099s, click Print.