The Form W-3 is a calculated total of the Forms W-2. The totals on the Form W-3 must equal the total of the quarterly Forms 941 with the exception of Medicare and FICA. The totals in these fields on the Form W-3 are one-half the totals in the same fields on the Form 941.
The information you enter in this window prints on the W-3 form, but employee selections do not change the W-3 total. The W-3 total is always the total of all W-2 forms.
To print Form W-3
- Under Generate Reports, click the Period End Reports tab.
- In the drop-down list, select Payroll 941, W-2s, and ACA Forms, then click Go .
- On the W-2 tab, make the selections for the correct W-2 year. Form W-3 calculations are based on these selections.
- Click Print W3.
- In the W-3 Fields window, enter the employer's
- Control number — This optional box is used for numbering the whole transmittal. Be sure entries do not cross into the Establishment Number.
- Other EIN used this year — If applicable, enter any additional employer identification numbers used this year.
- Establishment Number — This identifies separate establishments in your organization/business. You may file a separate Form W-3, with Forms W-2, for each establishment even if they have the same EIN, or you may use a single Form W-3 for all Forms W-2 of the same type.
- If you use a form that already has your organization's name, address, and federal tax id number printed on it, select Hide Site Information.
- Under Kind of Payer, select one of the following options:
- 941 — Select if you file Form 941 and no other category applies to you (except Third-party sick pay.)
- Military — Select if you are a military employer sending Forms W-2 for non-uniformed employees.
- 943 — Select if you file Form 943 and you send Forms W-2 for agricultural employees.
- 944 — Select if you file Form 944. This form is for those employers whose annual liability for social security, Medicare, and withheld federal income taxes is $1,000 or less who file and pay these taxes once a year instead of every quarter.
- CT-1 — Select if you are a railroad employer sending Forms W-2 for employees covered under the Railroad Retirement Tax Act.
- Hshld. emp. — Select if you are a household employer sending Forms W-2 for household employees and you did not include the employees on Form 941.
- Medicare govt. emp. — Select if you are a government agency filing Forms W-2 for employees that are subject to only 1.45% Medicare tax.
- Under Kind of Employer, select the appropriate option. 501c non-government is selected by default.
- If you are a third-party sick pay employer and you file Forms W-2 with the Third-party sick pay box (box 13) checked, select Third-party sick pay.
- Enter the appropriate Contact Information.
- Click OK, then Print.