Prepayments are gifts given in a current year that are applied to a future year pledge balance. For example, if a contributor gives a contribution in December to apply towards a pledge starting in January, the gift amount applies in the year it is given for tax purposes, and the payment reduces the contributor’s pledge balance for the next year.
Here's how to enter a prepayment and print a yearly statement that includes the prepayment.
- Under Manage Records, click the Contributions tab.
- In the drop-down list, select Enter/Post Contributions and click Go .
- Under Open Batches, select the batch you want to add a transaction to, then click Add/Edit Transactions. If no open batches exist when you click Add, the Start New Batch window displays.
- In the Add/Edit Transactions window, click Add.
- In the Add Transaction window, click Find Person, Find Org, or Last Person to select the contributor.
- Select the transaction's Payment Type in the drop-down list.
- Enter the transaction's Amount and Reference #, if applicable.
- In the Transaction Type and Gift Date drop-down lists, select the transaction type and gift date. Most transactions are classified as Regular Gifts. The Gift Date defaults to the batch's posting date but can be changed to the date on the check or the date of the actual contribution.
- Under Fund, click Lookup to select the fund code the contributor's pledge is for, then click OK to enter the rest of the gift's details.
- Under Amount, enter the amount of the contribution that is allocated toward the selected fund. By default, the total amount of the transaction displays, but you can enter a different amount if the transaction is split between two or more funds.
- OPTIONAL: Under Comment, enter any comments about the transaction. If the transaction is part of a Project, select the transaction's project code.
- Under Pledge, select Future. If Future does not display, click Add Pledge to add a pledge.
- If the transaction is split between two or more funds, repeat steps 9-12 for each split.