After posting a transaction in Contributions, you cannot delete it, but you can void it, which is helpful if you accidentally post a gift to the wrong contributor or for the wrong amount. Unless you have security rights to Edit All Users Transactions, you can only void transactions you entered.
You must void transactions one at a time, and when you do, the transaction amount displays in the void window (you cannot edit the amount), and the transaction's status is changed to Void in Contributions. You do not have to enter a negative transaction to correct Contributions entries.
You can also use the Contributions Filter to search for voided transactions, and you can print a Void Report in Contributions List Reports. Voided transactions do not display on statements, however, you can select whether or not to display returned transactions on statements.
Interfaced with ACS General Ledger?
If you are interfaced with the General Ledger, a reversing entry posts when you void a transaction unless you opt to skip posting it to the General Ledger. In General Ledger, the transaction is posted as a negative credit to income and negative debit to checking for the fund accounts that you originally posted to.
If you're voiding a transaction because it was posted to the incorrect contributor, you can skip voiding it in General Ledger, but if you're voiding a transaction posted to the wrong fund or for the wrong amount, you should post the void to GL since it affects fund totals.
- Under Manage Records, click the Contributions tab.
- In the drop-down list, select Enter/Post Contributions and click Go .
- In the Enter/Post Transactions window, click Add/Edit Transactions.
- In the Add/Edit Transactions window, select Advanced Filter to locate the transaction you want to void.
- In the Contributions Filter, enter or select the transaction's criteria, then click OK. To learn more, see Using the Contributions Filter.
- In the grid, select the transaction you want to void, then click Void.
- When the confirmation message displays, click Yes.
- In the Contributions - Post Void window, select the Post to Original Date/Deposit# check box and the program will enter the correct void date.
- If you do not need to void the transaction in General Ledger, select Skip posting to GL. For example, you would select this option if the original transaction was not posted to General Ledger. This is also helpful when a gift was posted to the wrong contributor and does not necessarily need a reversing entry in the General Ledger, or if the fund correction was already made in General Ledger with a journal entry.
- If the transaction was posted to the General Ledger:
- Select to track the deposit's void by Deposit Reference # or select Use Posting Date.
- Select the Posting Period month and year.
- In the drop-down list, select the Void Transaction Source.
- Enter a Void Explanation.
- Click Post Void.