In several windows throughout the program, you can add and view additional documents that support the information you entered in those windows.
This feature is a file browser rather than a file manager. Within the program, you can link to a document on your computer or from your scanner to save it as a .bmp or .jpg image. Use the appropriate file editor to make changes to your document before associating it with a record in your PDS program.
Storing the Documents
Before using this feature, first decide where to store the documents on your local PC or network.
To set where to store your documents
- On the File menu, click Setup > Initial Setup.
Next to Document Folder, click Browse to select the location of the folder where you want to store the documents.
If you run the program on a network, PDS recommends that you create a folder on your hard drive to store these files. This makes it easier to share the files with other users in your network.
To include these files in your regular data backup, create the storage folder as a subfolder of your Data folder. Files stored outside of the Data folder are not included in the backup. To locate the Data folder's path, click About on the File menu.
- Click Save/OK, then Close.
After selecting a location to store the documents, you can add files from several locations in the program. PDS accepts these file types: .doc, .jpg, .jpeg, .bmp, .emf, .wmf, .ico, .xls, .rtf, and .df.
Notes About Personnel Documents
- Any documents you add in the All Personnel window are visible to anyone with access to personnel. These are "general" documents.
- When you add a document to a specific personnel section (such as Staff), this document will only be visible to users who have access to that section.
- The Clergy Estate/Will window has a separate documents section. Documents that you attach here are only visible to users who have access to this window.
To add documents
- In a window with this feature, click Add Documents.
- Click Yes if you already have a subfolder set up for the document(s) you want to add. Otherwise, click No to have a subfolder created for you.
Click Add File, select the document you want to add, and click Open.
You can also click Scan to capture a new image using your scanner. Click Scanners in the Documents dialog box to select your scanner options.
- Click Save, then Close.
Viewing the Documents
Once you have linked files to records in your program, click View Documents to view the files associated with the current record.
Provides options for how you want to scan and name your documents. You can select one or more of the following options:
- Automatically Assign Unique Filename on Scan — Automatically give the scanned document a unique name. If you don't select this, you're prompted to name the document.
- Show Scanner Interface on Scan — Show the properties of your scanner and the scanning progress through your scanner's interface.
- Default File Format on Scan: BMP/JPG — Save your document in the selected file format.
- Choose the Scanner on Scan — Select which scanner to use if you have multiple scanners. If you only have one scanner or always want to use the default, don't select this option.
Provides options to rotate your image clockwise by 90 degrees, 180 degrees, or 270 degrees.
Provides options to view your image in different modes: Full Page, Full Width, or at a certain percentage.
If you delete a single file, you have the option to delete the original file from your computer. If you delete it, the file is moved to the Recycle Bin on your computer.
Scan a new document into the program using a scanner connected to your computer. Before scanning, select your scanner options on Scanners in the Documents dialog box. This is not available in OnDemand.
Removes the association between the file and the record. The link to the subfolder that contains the files is removed from the program. The subfolder and its contents are still available in the original location on your computer.