At the end of the year, you can promote the students who are ready to move to the next grade.
If you already ran the Automatic Grade Promotion during the Remove/Advance process, you do not need to run this process.
There are a few things you need to do to promote grade levels.
Back up your data.
- On the File menu, click Backup/Restore/Archive.
- Click Backup Data.
- Enter a reason for the backup, such as "Backup before promoting grade levels".
- Select a backup method, and enter or select any relevant information.
- Click Start Backup.
- After your data is backed up, you can print the backup information for your reference.
Print the final versions of this year's reports.
Once you promote grade levels, only the new year's information displays. Print any reports you may need with this year's information.
Promote grade levels.
Before you start, review the Grades and Degrees keywords to ensure you have each grade you plan to promote in numeric order. On the File menu, click Keywords, then under General Keywords, click Grades and Degrees.
- On the Information tab, click Students.
- In the navigation pane, click Processes.
- Click Grade Promotion.
- Select which grade field to promote, then click Next. Formation grade displays on the Student Detail window, and school grade shows on the Personal window.
Select the range of grade levels to promote. Typically, you begin with your first grade level (Preschool or Kindergarten) and end with the last grade level you promote to.
To change the type for graduating students, select the check box. If you change type, you can also change the relationship.
Type and relationship display in the Personal section. This is a way to distinguish between students who've completed grade 12 and those currently in grade 12.
If you share data with Church Office:
Grade promotions change all shared records, including Church Office members, even if they aren't in Formation. If you change status type here, the students' type in their Church records will also be updated.
- Select to include only active, only inactive, or all students.
- Verify the promotion information in the grid, and click Next.
- The students who fit your criteria display. By default, all records are selected. Clear the check box for any student(s) you don't want to promote.
- Before you apply any updates, you can modify information in the list if needed.
- To override a student's promotion grade, select the new grade in the column. For example, if a 2nd grader is skipping to Grade 4, you can change the New Grade from the default 3 to 4.
- Change member type by selecting a new type. You may change older students to Young Adult.
- After verifying the list of students marked for promotion, click Next.
- To promote students and update the Formation and/or Church Office databases, click Promote Students.