On February 28, 2019, we're saying goodbye to The City, but we have something even better for you in Realm.
Part 1: The Basics
The City is a social network designed to help your church stay connected throughout the week. You'll know who to pray for, what to study, how to serve, and much more. It's a way to stay plugged in to everything happening in your church groups and ministry teams.
If you're new here, welcome! We'll help you take the first steps to discover all that The City has to offer.
Step 1: Sign Up & Sign In
Since The City is a secure place, the first thing you need to do is create a City account. There are two ways to do this: either have a friend send you an invitation from The City or sign up at one of your church's connect kiosks.
To sign up at a connect kiosk
- Enter Your Name.
- Enter your Email.
- Enter your Phone Number.
- Add any Additional Notes you want a connect agent to see.
- Click Only Send Invitation to join The City, or choose Help Me Get Connected! to have a connect agent help you find a group to join. Either of these buttons sends a City invitation to the email address you entered above.
To respond to the invitation email
- Go to your email, find the invitation, and click Sign up for The City ».
- On the next screen, enter your desired Login.
- Enter a Password, then Confirm Password.
- Enter your First Name.
- Enter your Last Name.
- Select your Gender.
- Select your Date of Birth.
- Select your Campus.
- Click Create my account.
Congratulations, you are now a member of The City! To log in, visit your church's City URL (yourchurch.onthecity.org), then enter your login and password.
Step 2: Fill Out Your Profile
Now that you have your own profile, it's time to make it a little more personal. To start, add a photo of yourself.
To add or change your picture
- In the upper-right corner of any City page, hover over the and click .
- Select the Profile tab.
- Click Edit Picture.
- To browse your computer for the image, click Choose File, select the picture from your computer folder, and click Update.
- Crop the image to the right size and click Save Image.
While you're on your Profile tab, you can also add a preferred name and some personal information in the About Me field. Once you complete that, click Save Profile.
Things to Know
The preferred name is the name that you're most commonly known by.
Another important part of your life is your family, so we want you to proudly show them off. If the person you're adding already has a City account, you can include them in your family.
To add a City user to your family
If the person you're adding already has an online City account, you can include them in your family.
- Hover over the in the top right corner of any City page and click
- Click + Add a Family Member.
- Select In The City.
- Begin entering the family member's name, and then choose them from the drop-down list.
- Select Spouse or Child.
- Click Save Family.
Since this person is a City user, they will be notified that you listed them as a family member, and must verify the relationship before it becomes public. Once that's done, the family relationship is attached to both profiles.
To add a non-City user to your family
If the person you want to add to your family is not currently a City user, there are a couple of additional steps.
- Hover over the in the top right corner of any City page and click Account Settings.
- Click + Add a Family Member.
- Select Not In The City.
- Enter the person's First and Last names.
- Add his/her Birthdate and Gender.
- Select either Spouse or Child from the drop-down list.
- Click Save Family.
Next, fill out the Contact Info tab. This information is only visible to church administrators and the people you allow to see it, so you don't have to worry about sharing your information with everyone in The City. After you add a phone number and address, click Save Contact Info.
Now give yourself some skills. The City helps your church's service teams match needs with the people who have the right skills to fill them. Adding skills to your profile ensures you get the message when the church is looking for someone with your talents.
To add skills
- In the upper-right of any City page, hover over and click Account Settings.
- Select the Skills tab.
- Select all the skills that you want the church to know about.
- To save, click Save Skills at the bottom of the page.
And finally, configure your. This determines when and how often you want to receive email alerts for things that happen in your groups. Choosing the right settings helps you stay on top of all the latest happenings in the circles you're most intimately connected to.
These are the four options:
Step 3: Find Groups
Unlike other social networks you may be familiar with, The City is about joining groups.
No matter how connected you are in real life, when you first join The City, you need to join groups to make the most of your experience. There are a couple of ways to do this.
To find a group by name
- In the navigation menu on the left side of the window, expand the Groups menu.
- Click Search for groups.
- Enter the name of a group and click Search.
To find a group your friends are in
- In the upper-right of the page, enter a friend's name in the .
- Select the person from the list of results that displays.
- In the Groups section of your friend's profile, find a group and click it.
Once you find the right group, it's time to join. From the group's page, click Ask to Join. Then, in the provided space, do just what the button says: ask if you can join.
Step 4: Say Something
You have an account, you have a profile, and you have a group! Now you just need to communicate. Posts and messages are two tools you use for this. Posts let you communicate with a whole group, while messages give you a way to communicate with a smaller, hand-picked party, sort of like an email.
To create a new topic
- In the left navigation menu, click News.
- Click Start a New Post, and then click Topic.
- Click Select a Group and select the group name from the drop-down list.
- Enter the title and body of the topic.
- Apply any additional options:
- Use the text formatting tools to make your message look the way you want.
- Select Allow this post to be shared to share this post with other groups.
- Select Publicize on The City Plaza to choose Plaza options.
- Attach a file to your post.
- Click Advanced Options.
- Click + Add a File.
- Click Choose File to browse for what you want.
- Repeat this process to add more files.
- Click Post This!
Things to Remember
Though we're spotlighting topics here, you can also create other types of posts in a group such as, , , and . Each one has a slightly different list of features, so give them all a try as you experiment with posting to your groups.
To start a message
- From the navigation menu on the left of the page, select Messages.
- Click + Write a Message.
- In the Recipients field, begin entering someone's name and select the right picture from the drop-down list. Repeat this process to add more than one person to the message.
- Enter a subject and the body of your message.
- Apply any desired options:
- Use the text-formatting tools at the top to make your message look just the way you want it to.
- Attach a file to your message.
- Click + Add a File.
- Click Choose File to browse for what you want and attach it.
- Repeat this process to add more files.
- Click Send This Message.
As you start creating posts and messages, you're sure to notice that others have done the same, and some of them are on really interesting subjects! To respond to someone else's post, enter your reply in the box below it and click Reply.
In a nutshell, that's life in The City. Of course, there are more topics you can learn about once you've mastered these basics.
Part 2: Beyond the Basics
So you've successfully created a City account and used it to connect with your groups and send messages. Now that you are comfortable with The City, it's time to expand your horizons. With each feature you try out, you'll find a new way to connect with the community and dive deeper into the mission of Christ at the church.
Step 1: Post a Status Update
It's time to give people something to read. The easiest way to do that is to make a status update, which will show up on your profile and in .
To update your status
- From any page on the of The City, click Update Status beside your picture in the upper right.
- Enter your message in the appropriate space.
- Click Save.
Step 2: Find Somewhere to Serve
Status updates are a great way to stay more connected with people throughout the week, but let's not forget the City features designed to give you more opportunities for community in person. Service opportunities is a feature designed to give service teams a place to advertise their volunteer needs and give users a place to find somewhere to serve.
To find a Service Opportunity
- In the navigation menu, click Service Opportunities.
- Browse the list to find an opportunity you're suited for.
- Click I can help!.
- Write a message to the leader of the service team to learn more or volunteer.
Step 3: Offer Goods and Services
Time and energy isn't the only thing you have to contribute to the community, though. What about that extra car in the driveway, or the treadmill you only used once? How about your talent for portrait photography? You can post all these things to the, The City's one-stop shop for selling, trading, or just giving away the things that other people at the church might benefit from.
To post a Marketplace listing
- In your navigation menu, select Marketplace.
- Click + Add a new listing.
- Select the type of listing you'd like to post.
- Enter the information in the fields provided.
- Select a category from the drop-down list of options.
- Add a Description.
- Add a picture (optional).
- Click + Add an Image/File.
- Click Choose File.
- In the dialog box that displays, select the correct file from your computer.
- Click Open.
- Click Post This Listing.
Of course, you're not always going to be the one giving things away on the Marketplace. Sometimes there's something you really need but don't have the means for. Keep an eye on the Marketplace to see if someone in the community offers it.
Part 3: Posting Like a Pro
Now we'll look at additional options you can apply to posts and status updates to either widen or refine the reach of your communication. Whether you're a group leader or just an average Joe, these tools will come in handy as you continue using The City.
Pro Tip 1: Responding to a Post by Email
To help simplify things, you can reply to a City post right from your email inbox. When you receive an email notification for aor post in one of your groups, you’ll notice the text Reply by typing above this line at the top of the email. You can reply by email to any City email bearing that text. Just reply like you would to any ordinary email, and whatever you type above that line automatically turns into a response to the post.
As a special bonus, you can even RSVP to an from your email box. When you first get an email alert regarding a new event, start your email reply with the word Yes, No, or Maybe, and that's assigned as your official RSVP. Whatever you type after that will also appear as a comment in the event notes.
Pro Tip 2: Customizing the Reach of a Post
Statuses aren't the only kind of communication you can customize. Posts offer a series of options that narrows or widens the scope of your group communication.
The particular list of options varies, depending on numerous factors, including the kind of post you're creating, particular group settings that are enabled, and your. There is usually at least one of the following options to choose from:
When creating a new post, consider what you're trying accomplish and if any of the options at your disposal in that group helps you better achieve it.
Pro Tip 3: Sharing With Others
Sometimes you don't want to narrow the reach of your communication, but rather to widen it beyond the confines of itsof origin. We call this .
When creating a post, select Allow this post to be shared. Enter a group name in the Share with other groups text box or a friend's name in the Share with other people text box. When you click Post This! the share request is sent.
If you missed anyone, you can always return to the post and click tab to select groups you want to share with.to add more people later. Click the Groups
Things to Remember
- When you first create content, you must designate it as shareable or posted to the Plaza. The reason for this is that people in the originating group may respond to it with private or sensitive information. If that content thread is then shared or made public, we have violated the trust of the responder. The inability to send something to the Plaza or share it after it's been made is a safety precaution for those who have replied or will.
- There are two circumstances where a group can't share. If a group is created as anencrypted group, the encryption disallows sharing content with other groups. Likewise, a hidden group is unable to share with other groups because it is undetectable to The City's search mechanism, which is used in the sharing process.
Pro Tip 4: Going Beyond the Walls of The City
If sharing a post with other groups and City users doesn't go quite far enough, you can post to the.
The Plaza is the outward-facing side of your City, where you can send posts that you want to invite people outside The City to engage with. Posts sent to the Plaza appear both in your group (and any other group you've shared it with) and on the Plaza, so the people of your group can find it right alongside your other content and still be able to communicate with friends and family outside.
To send a post to the Plaza
- When creating a new post, select Allow this post to be shared and then select Publicize on The City Plaza.
- In the drop-down menu that appears, determine the post's publicity on the Plaza.
- Private URL creates a Plaza page for this post. This page is only accessible via a secret URL given to you and your group. No one can access your post without that address; it isn't linked to from anywhere else on the Plaza, and search engines can't find it. Use this method, for example, to invite people to an event with a closed guest list.
- Publicly Listed is the setting to choose when you want to make the post browseable, openly accessible to anyone who visits your church's Plaza. The purpose of this kind of post is to freely welcome anyone in the surrounding community into the life, discussions, and happenings of your group.
- Finally, click Post This! to finish the post.
When you first create content, you must designate it as shareable or posted to the Plaza. Once content exists, these sharing/posting options are no longer available. The reason for this is that people in the originating group may respond to it with private or sensitive information. If that content thread is then shared or made public, we have violated the trust of the responder, so the inability to send something to the Plaza or share it after it's been made is a safety precaution for those who have replied or will.
A post on the Plaza is a way to make your, , , and much more viral and inclusive.