On February 28, 2019, we're saying goodbye to The City, but we have something even better for you in Realm.
If you’re the leader of a service team, you face the special challenge of creating and maintaining volunteer schedules. There are primarily two scheduling methods at your disposal: and . Scheduling with an event bases your schedule around a single service date, while scheduling with a need centers your schedule around a subject or type of service. The one you use depends heavily on the type of service you’re facilitating, how many volunteers you have, and what your personal preference is. There are benefits to each.
To schedule with a need
- and title it to reflect the type of service you’re scheduling and the period of time it covers.
- Enter the body text.
- Click Add tasks or items.
- Click add a task or item.
- Add a service position title you need filled, along with the date you need it filled on.
- Repeat steps 3-5 for all positions you need filled on all dates.
- Apply any additional options you'd like and click Post This Need.
- Either let your team volunteer for the different positions or yourself.
Just like scheduling with an event, there are both benefits and drawbacks to this scheduling method.
- You and your volunteers can see the schedule for an entire month, quarter, or other time frame in one location.
- Service roles can be assigned or volunteered for, depending on what works best.
- See at a glance who is volunteering and who isn’t, as well as what roles are yet to be filled.
- Volunteers receive alert emails to remind them that they have signed up for a Need.
- Once you sign up for a Need on a particular date, it's added to the calendar in The City mobile apps.
- Needs do not appear on the web calendar.