Enter and post payments for invoices by applying the payments to the oldest invoices first, by manually selecting the invoices, or by restricting the invoice to a designated billing code. HeadMaster Billing posts payments by family. So, if a family has more than one child in the school, the parents only have to pay one combined bill.
Payments should be posted to the Primary family.
If you have a Magtek® MICRImage™ check scanner, you can enter and post payments by simply inserting checks into the reader. The checking account number can also be linked to the family record for future use. For more information, see Link a Checking Account Number to a Family Record.
Payments can be entered and saved without posting. This is useful if you want to add payments daily over the course of a week and post on Friday.
To enter and post payments
- Select Enter/Post Payments. Click Next.
- To select a family, click the Select Family drop-down list. If you have previously linked the check account number to a family record, you can omit this step.
- Click Scan Check. The values for Payment Type, Check Number, and Amount are automatically entered.
- Enter a description of the payment, and enter a payment date.
- Select one of the following Payment Posting Options:
- Apply to oldest invoices first - To automatically apply the payment to the oldest invoices, select this option. Click Next, and proceed to Step 8.
- Manually select invoices to pay - To select only the invoices you want to post to, select this option. Click Next, and select the invoice you want to post the payment to. Click Next again.
- Enter a Designated Payment - To enter a prepayment or scholarship that is restricted to specific billing codes attached to students within a family, such as tuition, select this option. This billing code determines the type of invoice that the payment can be applied to. For example, if the school receives a scholarship or prepayment that is for tuition, the user can enter a dedicated payment and select the tuition billing code. The payment will be set aside to pay only tuition invoices. If there is currently an open invoice for tuition on the customer's record, the money will apply to the open invoice first. If there is not an open invoice for tuition, the money will remain as a credit until the user enters an invoice for tuition for the customer. At the time the new invoice for tuition is created, the tuition payment will be applied. Click Next.
- The Enter/Post Payment window displays the total number of payments and the total amount of payments to post.
- If you selected Post in Step 7 and you are interfaced with ACS General Ledger, in the Enter Posting Data dialog box, enter a Posting Month, Posting Year, and Transaction Memo description. This information determines what month and year the transactions will apply once they are imported into ACS General Ledger.
- Click OK.
- In the Posting Complete window, click a report button to select one of three available reports: Receipts, Deposit Ticket, or GL Distribution Report. You may print one or all of these reports; however, once you close the Posting Complete window, you won't be able to view these reports again. To return to the initial Enter/Post Transactions window after printing the report, select the Would you like to enter more transactions? check box before you preview the report. Click OK.