Electronic filing requires ACS 184.108.40.206 or higher.You can only e-file 1099 corrections if you e-filed your 1099s. If you printed and mailed your 1099s, you must print and mail your 1099 corrections as well.
You can file corrections made to a previously filed 1099.
If you file a 1099 correction because you had to change the totals, make sure you file a new 1096 that matches those new totals.
To prepare and electronically file a Form 1099 correction
- Under Generate Reports, click the Period End Reports tab.
- In the drop-down list, select Accounts Payable 1099s and 1096, then click Go .
- On the Reports tab, select 1099 Correction - Laser Printer or 1099 Correction - Laser (Blank Paper 4 Part Forms).
- To enter the beginning and ending date range for the information that you want to include in the 1099 totals, use Print Transactions From and to.
- To select report options, click the Setup tab.
- Enter Report Options, Vendor Options, and Selection Options. To learn more, see the Additional Field Information below.
- Click Tax E-File. If you have not yet created an account, the program prompts you to do so.
- To print the Validation Report, click Validation Report. We strongly suggest printing and reviewing this form to make any necessary corrections before transmitting.
- After reviewing the Validation Report and making any corrections, click Transmit File.
- The ACS E-Filing website opens in a new browser. Select the service you want to e-file, and then select the vendor you want to e-file.
- Click Next.
Click Next to check out and electronically file your forms.
How to File for an Additional 1099 after 1096 Is Sent In?
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires that taxpayers file Form 1099 information returns to report certain payments made to other U.S. taxpayers.
Form 1096, Annual Summary and Transmittal of U.S. Information Returns, is filed with the IRS with all Forms 1099 and is used to summarize information on the Form 1099s. Occasionally, after remitting Form 1096 to the IRS, a taxpayer may determine that a payee was omitted when completing Form 1099s and it is necessary to report that additional payee to the IRS.
Complete the respective Form 1099 for the additional payee in the same manner as the previous Form 1099s. When filing a Form 1099 for an additional payee, you should not check the "corrected" box of Form 1099. The "corrected" box should only be checked if information initially filed on a form is incorrect.
E-Filing Additional Forms
If you need to e-file additional forms after e-filing an annual 1096 package, you must create and e-file those forms. You cannot modify the original filing.
When the additional 1099 information is transmitted, the 1096 information for the additional forms is included, and you do not need to submit an amendment for Form 1096.